Saturday, January 23, 2010

Gardening on my mind

I have been neglecting the garden somewhat recently. Christmas/New Year is such a busy time.

Oh yes, I have been watering, but it is so darn hot here, they really need some tender loving care. Yesterday evening I watered, and watered, and watered. Afterwards I decided to transplant a few seedlings that I had been given for Christmas (thank you again!). The giver was very generous and there were absolutely heaps of seedlings in the pots. I thought I would plant them out and hopefully give most of them a fighting chance to feed us!

I could not believe it but some of the soil not so far down was bone dry still! So out came the hose again. My poor little plants. For the past couple of weeks I have been running around with beach umbrellas; putting them over sunburnt plants and chasing them across the yard as they blow away. What a sight for the neighbours! Haha.

They seem to be recovering from the heat now, little flowers on my tomatoes again and some little cherry ones have formed. I have a little, tiny green capsicum and some more little flowers. The zucchini is bushy but have not seen any more fruit just yet.

Will be out later watering and taking pictures for you all!

It's so hot, I am jealous of the lovely snowy pics I keep seeing from you Northern Hemisphere bloggers. Now to sit in front of the a/c and pretend that the weather outside is frightful, and the fire so delightful....

1 comment:

the domestic fringe said...

I'll trade ya a little snow for some heat! I dream of warm places...

Just visiting from C Jane.
-FringeGirl