Monday, April 26, 2010

Homemade Deodorant

Well, I just had to get on the bloggy bandwagon and try my hand at homemade deodorant.

Thank you, How About Orange for the great tutorial! It rocks. Her picture below, mine looks similar, but with fingerprints in it...hehe. I couldn't wait to try it, sorry.


I made three lots of the deodorant and still had some ingredients left over. It smells yummy (I did two lavender and geranium mixtures and also a lemongrass one), and so far they have worked really well.

It's so easy, that you'll wonder why you haven't tried it before. I even used metric cup measurements (I'm assuming it's using US ones in the tute), and it worked like a dream. The result is like a balm, you just run your fingers over it and apply a bit to your underarms. If it's a bit runny at first, just pop it in the fridge.

All you need is coconut oil, baking soda (bicarb), arrowroot powder and essential oil of your choice. Really. Oh and a container to keep it in. You could even put it in one of those empty deodorant containers (the solid style roll ons).

I absolutely love the smell and feel of the coconut oil; it's semi solid, not a liquid at room temp. Delish :)

No aluminium or other nasties in there, which is a definite bonus. I am impressed!

2 comments:

Crystal said...

props to you! i have never even thought of making deodorant! thanks for stopping by. :)

Muthering Heights said...

That sounds like a good recipe...I'm always on the lookout for something workable! :)