Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Nanna's Biscuits (cookies)

Nothing beats my Nanna's biscuits. If you're looking for a recipe to try out today, give this one a try. This is usually made with any flavour jam/jelly in the middle but sometimes I split the batch and add ingredients to make different flavours. They can be messy (see pic), it doesn't matter, they still taste great!









Nanna's Jam Drops

2 cups self raising flour
½ cup butter
¾ cup sugar
1-2 eggs
dollops of jam

Beat the butter and sugar to cream and add eggs, beat well.

Add flour to make a dough. Form into round balls.

Press a thumb print into each, fill this indent with jam. Bake in a quick oven (I use 200 C/393 F for 15 mins).


La TempĂȘte's notes:
  • I usually use 2 eggs.
  • I love these with raspberry jam
  • Instead of making balls and squashing them, I roll mix into a log, wrap with plastic wrap and freeze for about 10-15 mins. Then I slice off little discs. Just like the frozen biscuit tubes you can buy in the supermarket. It keeps for a while in the freezer, so I try and keep a log there for when unepected visitors drop by.
For variations, try;
  • Cocoa, shredded coconut and peppermint essence to taste
  • Smashed up cornflakes and raisins/sultanas
  • Lemon curd instead of jam
  • I don't put jam in the flavoured ones
 This recipe is copyright my Nanna! She's been making it over 50 years. So please do not copy it with out crediting or linking here :) Thanks my lovelies.

Let me know if you make some :)

No comments: