So excited - I have finally figured out how to do buttonholes on my sewing machine! It may sound like it's really easy, and to be honest, once you have the right foot and understand which switches to flick, etc, it really is! I decided today was the day, and I was going to figure it out.
Cue 20 minutes of me feeling a bit sweary and wasting bits of scrap material (also: this is how it has always gone before when trying to make a buttonhole). This was also how I felt about zips until I actually gave them a try. Now I love them!
All of a sudden, I realised there was one more setting I had to adjust. I had never noticed it before. D'oh! Adjusted - and my machine basically did it for me!
Behold, my first ever wonky buttonhole.
I'm very proud of it. It may not be perfect but now that I know I can do it, I can work on making them even better. Also, I tested it with a button. It worked!!!
I'm looking forward to doing more and more, as they have uses beyond just fastening buttons. It opens up some patterns to me that I had been avoiding because of the heavy button component...now I can give them a try!